I would like to get my dog certified to be able to go and visit nursing homes. He is very gentle golden retriever/huskie mix. He is 4 years old, listens well. What do i need to do to get him certifed to go and visit homes??? thanks! What do i need to do?


  1. Coly

    Before even being considered, your dog needs to pass the Canine Good Citizen test, if he hasn’t already. After that, your dog can go into training to become a therapy dog. The test is: allowing a friendly stranger to groom the dog, walking politely on a lead, sitting and allowing a stranger to pet him, reaction around crutches, wheelchairs, breathing machines, etc, and coming when called. It’s pretty similar to the CGC test. After that test is passed, the dog will get a vest with an “in training” patch… after several visits, some training and another test, the dog will be a registered therapy dog and you’ll get a “therapy dog” patch and some papers.
    Here’s the website:http://www.tdi-dog.org/tditesting.html

  2. K9Resqer

    Contact your local training club and see if they offer CGC (Canine Good Citizen) and TDI (Therapy Dogs International) training and certification.
    The CGC and TDI training is very similar; TDI will also test your dog around wheelchairs and walkers.
    To become certified, your dog will have to:
    Accept a Friendly Stranger
    Sit Politely for Petting
    Be handled for Grooming
    Walk on a Loose Leash
    Walk Through a Crowd
    Sit and Down on Command/Staying in Place
    Come when Called
    Meet Another Dog
    Reactions to Distractions
    Acclimation to Infirmities
    Supervised Separation
    Say Hello

  3. vvangrod

    There are multiple organizations that will help you prepare your dog for Animal Assisted Therapy, the only organization I know of is the Delta Society. Here is their website http://www.deltasociety.org/AnimalsAAAAb…
    I do not know exactly what their programs consist of, but all you need to do is a little research to find out.

  4. Bob

    Go to a forum on one of the popular dog sites, like AKC.org, petchannel, petfinder, etc. and ask there. There are manuals and videos you can obtain dealing with service animules.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *